If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (701) 232-2455

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO of Fargo Makes Kitchens Look New After Smoke Damage

Pay Attention in the Kitchen

  • The number-one cause of home fires is unattended cooking. SERVPRO® of Fargo joins the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) in urging home cooks to:
  • Stay in the kitchen when frying, broiling, grilling, or boiling food.
  • Check the kitchen regularly when baking, simmering, or roasting.
  • Keep flammable materials away from the stovetop or other source of high heat. Flammable materials include towels, oven mitts, paper, food wrapping, and curtains.
  • Avoid cooking if you are sleepy. Pizza delivery is always and option, and there are plenty of other delivery options out there.

At SERVPRO of Fargo, we know that some cooks want to push the edge of the culinary envelope by trying blackened trout, high-temperature quick-cook roasts, or anything flambé.

Even attentive cooks can see something go wrong, including a cooking fire. We know someone who poured a bag full of frozen fries into a pot of heated oil. While there was little or no actual fire, the smoke exploded to the ceiling, producing an unsightly stain that made the kitchen look (and smell) decidedly unpleasant.

Possible Results of a Kitchen Fire

In addition to freaking out new cooks (or their families), kitchen fires can leave behind smoke damage that stains walls and ceilings and equipment.

Smoke particles continue to cause damage, corroding drywall, wood, electronics and even metal. The particles go where the air currents take them, causing damage in other rooms. The odor will not go away until the smoke particles are removed.

Call us when there is smoke damage. Our number is 701-232-2455, and we are always available in an emergency.

Two of the Happier Kitchen Accidents

We don’t want to scare anyone away from cooking. Sometimes greatness arises by happenstance or mistakes. Kitchen fires and smoke damage do not qualify for such greatness, but the following do.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

These delights are also called Tollhouse Cookies because Ruth Wakefield and her husband owned the Toll House Inn. One glorious day in 1930, Ruth set out to make chocolate cookies for the guests, but she had run out of the baker’s chocolate she normally used. She chopped up semisweet chocolate pieces instead, not realizing that the pieces would not melt. Ta-da! A cookie star was born.


Frozen treats like these aren’t cooking, but they qualify for our mini list because they’re edible. We have remarkably high standards for restoration from smoke damage, but less so for what qualifies as cooking or even kitchens, as this accident happened on a porch. In 1905, an 11-year-old boy, Frank Epperson, left a mixing stick in a cup of drink powder and water. The popsicle continues to cool and rule during hot weather.

SERVPRO of Fargo Makes Kitchens Beautiful Again

Remember, call us any time. Our number is 701-232-2455.